dressmaking

Updated Summer Sewing Plans and the Simplicity Sewing Challenge

Hello and welcome back to my blog.

IMG_4812

A few months ago I set out my sewing plans for the summer. You can read all about it here. However, do any sewists ever actually stick to such plans? I always find I come across patterns and fabrics that catch my eye and my carefully laid plans are turned upside town.

This summer has proven no exception, although I am pleased to report I have completed some of the projects I intended to do. I have included some pictures below 🙂

First up is Katie’s wedding bunting, which you can read more about here.

IMG_4596

Then there are my Japanese cushions, which I blogged about here.

IMG_4715

There was also the jumpsuit I made for my friend using an amazing Art Gallery fabric. You can read all about this here.

IMG_3598

I also intended to make a Dolly Parton inspired gingham dress and in the end I used the Simply Sew Sienna Dress. You can read all about it here.

IMG_4704

And finally I finished knitting a jumper I aptly named The Never Ending Jumper. It is huge and a bit misshapen – I’m just pleased, after four years, it is over at last!

IMG_4781

However, as far as my other planned projects are concerned they remain just that, planned. There is still time though as I have decided my summer is going to last until the end of September. I am also off work for two whole weeks and hope to get lots of selfish sewing done.

One dress I simply have to complete is the 1960s shirt dress pictured below. I love this pattern and I think the fabric I have chosen – thanks to the black background- will allow me to wear the dress over winter with black tights and a cardigan.

But I have decided to postpone making the circle skirt and jersey top I originally planned to make to allow me to take part in the Simplicity Sewing Challenge. I really enjoyed it last year and was thrilled that my entry was highly commended in the vintage category. This year, one of the judges is my sewing and style icon, the Crafty Pinup, and the vintage pattern is one she made for a stitch-by-stitch video on her YouTube channel. You can watch it here.

IMG_4713IMG_4797

As you can see I have started cutting out the skirt, which I have lengthened. The fabric cost me just £2.50 and was part of a vintage job lot at my local haberdashery Goldstitch Sew Cafe. It has a little bit of stretch in it so I hope it will work well.

I am going to make the cap sleeve top in a shell pink jersey I bought from Fabworks. I easily cut it out from one metre, which was a bargain at £5. The quality is good and it feels lovely and soft.

The colours are more muted than what I usually go for but I wanted to move away from the rockabilly style on the pattern envelope and do something a bit different. I think the pieces will also mix and match well with other items in my wardrobe.

I still have quite a bit of the skirt fabric left so if I have time I also hope to whip up a cropped jacket to complete the look. I love this New Look pattern, which I think I will tweak to create a three-quarter length sleeve.

IMG_4798

Sorry this post ended up being a lot longer than I intended but a good plan should always be flexible 😉

I will leave you with some pictures of my last Simplicity Sewing Challenge entry.

Thanks for reading and happy sewing! X

IMG_1802IMG_1807

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s