Hello and thank you for stopping by!
This post is all about my latest make, a lightweight summer dress created from beautiful Liberty Cotton Tana Lawn fabric. I can’t really afford to spend a lot of money on fabric but every now and then I like to treat myself. That said, this was still a bargain. Liberty fabrics usually cost around £20 per metre but Jean at Goldstitch Sew Cafe (my favourite haberdashery) also sells remnants. I picked up 2.7 metres for £32.50 and left the shop feeling very smug. This was a few years ago and since then I have been trying to decide what to make with it.
Last month, I decided it was time to make my mind up and settled on a dress, crazy I know. My first thought was the New Look K6262, which is lovely.
However, I had hoped to wear the dress to a 1950s afternoon tea and didn’t have the time to make a toile. It’s a pattern I have never used before and didn’t think Liberty fabric was the best thing to test it out on. Instead, I decided to use the two skirt pieces from this pattern with the bodice from a pattern I know fits me well. The skirt pieces are gathered to fit so I knew I would have no problem combining them. I do hope to make the New Look pattern in full one day. Check out the gorgeous two-layer version!
This time though, I turned to a trusty vintage pattern I have used twice now for the top half of the garment.
This McCall’s pattern dates from 1958 and is a wonder. The pieces are made from what I can best describe as a thick interfacing to allow the sewist to stitch them together to check the fit. There are also lots of options for different sleeve lengths, collars, cuffs and necklines. You really got a lot for your money back in the day!
I opted for a shorter sleeve and the wide boat neckline. If you look at the pattern illustration you will see a seam at the centre of the bodice. I didn’t really want this detail so made it into one piece by cutting it on the fold of the fabric.
Normally when I sew a garment I like to neaten the seams with an overlocker but I didn’t want to buy four green threads. I’m naturally a cheapskate you see. So on this occasion I tried French seams for the first time and I must say J’adore them! They are great for lightweight fabrics, giving a lovely neat finish. Click here for a tutorial by Tilly and the Buttons.
I mentioned earlier that I planned to wear the dress to an afternoon tea. Sadly, it wasn’t ready in time. My next goal was a night out with my friends in Newcastle last Saturday. Again, I failed to meet my deadline, which is why I called my make The Fashionably Late Dress. I am sure you will be relieved to know I still have an occasion to wear it to. Yes, my dress will make its debut at a meal to celebrate my sister Jenny’s 30th birthday. I am super pleased with how it turned out. I hope you like it too!