Oops…It has been over a month since my last blog post! The main reason for this is that I haven’t actually finished a sewing project until now. I have been preoccupied with tweaking my pattern blocks and making toiles (practice garments) out of old duvet covers, which are not the most exciting things to photograph and write about!
This week, however, I finished my first pair of made-to-measure trousers. Now this is exciting! The trousers were made from the pattern block I created using the Winifred Aldrich pattern cutting technique. This results in a standard pair of straight leg, high waisted trousers, which fit well but are a tad on the frumpy side. This was not the look I was after so I lowered the waistband slightly and tapered the leg from just above the knee to create cigarette pants. I love this style of trousers as they have a cool 1950s retro feel and, let’s face it, nothing worn Audrey Hepburn could ever be described as frumpy.
The photograph to the left of Audrey is of Brigitte Bardot and was the inspiration for my fabric choice. I really like the combination of the bold print trousers and the plain black top so I set out to find a fabulous floral fabric to recreate the look. I settled on a bright 100% cotton called Floral Asphalt from Goldstitch. The black background makes the pink, blue and tangerine flowers pop out. I also like the fact there is a variety of bright colours to choose from when selecting a top to complete the outfit.
As you can see, I chose a white camisole for an evening look and a pink vest top for a more casual outfit.
I am pleased with the result and can’t wait to wear my new trousers on my holidays later in the year.
Thanks so much for reading my blog 🙂